Monday, March 29, 2010

Once Was Lost

Yesterday I lucked out. I had to run errands - more specifically, I had to make a trip to Target. Much as I love Target I already know that once I enter that store I am leaving with significantly less money than when I came in. And yesterday was really no different. But, on the way home I decided to stop at the public library nearest to my work. I hardly ever allow myself to go there because they charge fines for overdue books, and I have been fairly spoiled by the different small town libraries I frequent and the fact that they don't charge fines. Once I enter a library, though, I am totally unable to refrain from checking something out. I mean, it's free! And after I spent money at Target, getting a book for free sounds especially lovely.

This library is the biggest in the area, so I was so excited to look over their teen section and see lots and lots of books just calling my name. I tried not to be greedy, and I tried to restrict myself, but I have little control and ended up leaving with seven books to read - all from my mental TBR list. And, since my two youngest daughters were with me and wanted to stay and color for a while, I ended up getting to start one of my new selections right away.

Once Was Lost is the first book I have read by Sara Zarr. I have seen tons of reviews about this book, so I am definitely behind in reading this one. Yet, even with reading all these reviews, it has been such a long time since I read anything about it that I was happily surprised by everything I read.

Sam's dad is a pastor, and it seems that much of her life is defined by her dad's job. Her mother also feels the pressure, and has gone away to an alcoholic treatment facility after receiving a DUI. Sam doesn't want to tell her friends what is going on in her home - mostly because she feels they really can't understand what her life is like. Then, during the hot days of summer, a thirteen year old girl from their church goes missing. Sam questions her faith in God, as the town is caught up in the tragedy. Zarr's resolution to this story is believable - more a real-life ending than a trite, predictable ending that would have diminished the rest of this book.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience with Zarr's work and will be looking for more in the future.
Check out some other reviews:

No comments: