Sunday, January 17, 2010

Oh, The Suspense...


Tomorrow morning the Newbery and Caldecott awards (along with a bunch of others) are going to be announced. I have been busy reading predictions on various blogs and am always anxious to see what is selected. Sometimes I am let down by the choices. I am always excited if the book that wins is one I loved, too. And, sometimes I am happily surprised to hear a title I have never read or heard of. The award gives me a good reason to try a book out with some certainty that is will be wonderfully written.

I won't even attempt to guess what book will win the Caldecott award. I read a lot of different picture books every year, but usually I am not at all able to predict that winner. And, I don't think I have a great track record with Newberys, either. One of the books I loved reading this past year is one I have been hearing a lot about as the awards approach. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead is a wonderful book, worthy of the Newbery. Part of me wonders if all the hype surrounding it will cause the judges to try to find a book that is less well known. I haven't yet read The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate, another title that keeps getting mentioned, but I did read All The Broken Pieces by Ann E. Burg. Really, any of the titles I have heard as a prediction are ones I think would be great. I'm not sure if I will watch the announcements live, or if I will just print out the list of winners later. I might opt for that. I don't have school tomorrow but my girls do, which gives me an entirely free day. I wonder what I will do?!

No comments: