Monday, December 14, 2009

Christmas Stories

I absolutely love Christmas stories and wish I had months to read them to groups of students instead of the week I have allowed myself. I will admit to randomly reading a holiday book here and there if it is new or the mood strikes, but for the mostpart we read them mainly during the few days leading up to our holiday break. This week I have set aside two new ones as well as an oldy but goodie.

Fancy Nancy Splendiferous Christmas by Jane O'Connor is the latest installment in Nancy's life, who is happy that at Christmas time her house is decorated and fancy looking. As usual, she manages to throw in a few good vocabulary words along the way.


I'm Not Santa by Jonathan Allen is a great Christmas book for younger kids. Hare mistakes Baby Owl for Santa, using certain characteristics as evidence of his identity. The two work things out by the end, and things are all good once Santa arrives.



The oldie but goody that I enjoy each and every time I read it is Diane De Groat's Jingle Bells, Homework Smells featuring Gilbert and his gang of friends. In this holiday book Gilbert finds fun winter activities to participate in, and ends up forgetting to do his homework. His solution to this problem is creative and students usually have a good conversation about what Gilbert should have done verses what he did.

No comments: