Monday, September 21, 2009

When You Reach Me


I stayed up last night reading When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead- literally reading the entire book in one sitting. Wow! I have seen this book on various short lists as a possible Newbery contender and I would have to agree with this as well.

Set in New York City in 1979, Miranda carries around her copy of A Wrinkle In Time. She and her best friend Sal have a parting of ways, and Miranda spends a great deal of time thinking about her walk to and from school where she encounters a mentally ill homeless man - hoping never to receive his attention. Miranda begins to receive notes from someone who appears to know things before they happen. Stead's ability to have this all come together in the end is remarkable. I don't think I can even begin to give a summary of this plot....there are too many interconnected threads- things that don't seem important, but by novel's end are an essential part of the story. I have had this on my pile for a while and am totally enchanted by this book. What a great middle grade novel!

No comments: