Monday, September 21, 2009

Bedtime Stories


I paid a visit to two libraries on Saturday and even though my girls weren't with me, I came away with some great picture books to read at bedtime.
Martha Doesn't Say Sorry by Samantha Berger is a great story about Martha, a girl who does many wonderful things: give hugs, read stories, make presents...but Martha does not say she is sorry. Ever. Eventually Martha is forced to say she is sorry and can even do it without prompting. This story is so cute, and as my own children have struggled with apologizing I hope they can appreciate Martha's struggle as well.
I Don't Want a Posh Dog by Emma Dodd is another too cute bedtime story. The text is rhymey which makes reading aloud fun as we realize that the type of dog this little girl doesn't want: a jump up and pounce me dog, a fancy attitudey dog. This is one I may be reading very frequently while it is checked out.

Our third bedtime story is Moonshot: The Flight of Apollo 11 by Brian Floca is a non-fiction book featuring the Apollo 11 story and man walking on the moon. This story had a lot of information for my girls - especially since they didn't really have any prior knowledge about space or astronauts. I could see how interested they were in some aspects and may have to look further to find out more to satisfy their curiosity. There is a lot of text, but because it is written in short phrases, doesn't seem overwhelming. And while I liked the softly colored illustrations, I may look for some actual photographs to show my daughters gain a better perspective on this topic.
I like having some great new stories at bedtime to share. These three were all winners in our house this past weekend.

No comments: