Monday, July 27, 2009

The Next Generation and Judy Blume


I grew up reading Judy Blume...the Superfudge series, Are You There God It's Me, Margaret?, Tiger Eyes, Deenie, and everything else I could get my hands on that Blume wrote, I've read. I still like all of Blume's work and have loved sharing the appropriate ones with my own girls. One of the all-time favorite read alouds has been the Superfudge series (Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, Superfudge, Fudgeamania and Double Fudge). You will even hear random quotes sprinkled throughout our conversations....the most popular being "eat it or wear it."

When I heard last year that Blume had been contraced to write four chapter books based on her picture book The Pain and the Great One I was ecstatic. I read Soupy Saturday with The Pain and the Great One to my girls and then The Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One to them, too. I enjoyed the alternating narration and the humor Blume used in telling these stories of a brother and sister and their fights with each other. My girls were lukewarm about them. They just weren't Superfudge. But then we read Going, Going, Gone with the Pain and the Great One last week and we managed to read it all in two nights. We just couldn't stop reading and laughing. My girls LOVED it. Maybe they would love the others more now, too, because they totally got the humor in this book. In fact, the other night while driving to supper with my sister and my mother we had to listen to my oldest daughter re-reading favorite passages of this book and barely being able to contain her pleasure as she came to funny parts. We still say "eat it or wear it" but we have also added "fuzzy booger" to our lexicon. Blume has one more book she is contracted to write in this series - Friend of Fiend with the Pain and the Great One. I am looking forward to its release as are two very anxious girls at my house.
Visit Judy Blume's website here.

No comments: