Monday, June 8, 2009

When I Crossed No-Bob


Margaret McMullan's When I Crossed No-Bob has been on my radar for a while, but finally I found it at the library so I could read this book I have seen many reviews on. When I Crossed No-Bob is set after the Civil War in Mississippi. Addie O'Donnell is twelve, living with her Momma after Papa disappeared. The O'Donnells' reputation is not good- they are known for being mean, troublemakers. When Momma disappears, having decided to go and look for Poppa, Addie is taken in by Mr. Frank and his wife Irene. Mr. Frank is not too happy about this arrangment at first, but over time he comes to understand Addie and her family. Poppa eventually returns, claiming Addie as his own. Within this book Addie loses a friend, an African American boy, after she watches the Ku Klux Klan set their church on fire. There are many twists and turns in this novel, and as things progressed I was entirely taken in to the storyline.

To find more information about McMullan, check out her website here.

No comments: