Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Dork Diaries


I greatly enjoyed reading Dork Diaries. This book will be a hit in my elementary library with the fourth and fifth graders. I can see this as a good female counterpart to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. I enjoyed the diary entries and how very readable this book is. While I didn't spend a lot of time looking at the illustrations that go along with the text, I know the readers I have at school will. The embarassments that befall Nikki are things all girls can relate to as is her relationship with arch enemy Mackenzie. The one downfall of this book is its length- at least for my students. It is 272 pages long, and while it reads quickly and doesn't take long to get through, it may be too long for some of my readers. This is the type of book that I would have greatly enjoyed reading when I was growing up. I can't wait until it is published to see what a hit it is.

No comments: