Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Lincoln Through the Lens


On February 12, we will mark the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's birth. I have been excited to see the new books being published to mark this event. When I opened Lincoln Through the Lens by Martin W. Sandler today I was thrilled. Already I have read several pages and enjoyed the photographs. The text is not overwhelmingly long for students and the photographs will capture their attention. While probably for upper elementary and older students, I also am eager to share bits and pieces of it with some younger children, my own included. There are interesting tidbits of information gleaned from the text that I had not known previously about Lincoln. I also liked how in addition to this book being about Abraham Lincoln it is also about photography and its evolution through the years. In addition to this being a great resource, it would also make a wonderful coffee table book. What a treasure it is!

No comments: