Tuesday, November 18, 2008

That Book Woman

When I read the initial review of this book I immediately wrote the title down in the notebook where I list all the books I don't want to forget. As an elementary teacher librarian how could I not want to read a book about packhorse librarians? Add to that the fact that David Small is the illustrator, and it just can't get any better.
I was so excited to get an ARC of this book and read it to my girls before bed one night. I don't think they shared my enthusiasm quite so much. The language is beautiful, but too hard for them to really understand. I did a lot of stopping and explaining myself so that they would "get it." The illustrations are as beautiful as I thought. The story is heartwarming, too. The idea that a chid who initially didn't enjoy books could become a book lover should warm every librarian's heart. What a great story. I liked the fact that there was additional historical information included in the back to give more background on the packhorse librarians. Heather Henson has written a book that I can't wait to share with others.

No comments: