Monday, May 8, 2023

Monday Mini-Reviews: Back to Normal

 I've had a busy few weeks and after a few different deadlines on Friday, I can finally try and get back in the groove.  

On Friday I agreed to present at a library conference.  Public speaking is not something that I do often and even the thought of it makes me break out in a cold sweat.  But, I also know a lot about children's lit, and didn't want to turn down this opportunity.  So, I spent a lot of time creating my presentation, and survived the whole experience.  And since I survived that, I promptly volunteered to teach a section on new children's books for out district's classroom teachers over the summer.


After a hectic end to last week I was excited to have a weekend that was a little bit relaxing - and included reading for fun.  



I had started Our Best Intentions by Vibhuti Jain last weekend but had to put it down because I had to focus on getting some work done.  I loved that I could pick it back up - and really take time to enjoy it this weekend.

Bobby Singh is a single parent, trying to realize the American dream as he works driving for Uber.  His daughter, Angie, is his biggest treasure, a girl who is attending an affluent school and has a bright future ahead of her.  When she comes across her former best friend's brother, Henry, stabbed and bleeding on the football field as she leaves the high school pool, she is recognized as a hero for calling 911 quickly. However, Henry's friend, Chris, is also a part of the drama and quickly names Chiara Thompkins, a runaway black girl as the person who stabbed Henry.  This story deals with race and class and how communities treat others who are not like them.  There is plenty to discuss and book clubs should be picking this one up.




Several years ago Karen Cleveland's books were introduced to me. I fell in love with the fast paced/CIA/suspense novel that she writes so well.  Alma Katsu is writing a new series, beginning with Red Widow, and after taking a short break this past week from this one as well, I devoured the rest of it yesterday.

Theresa Warner is the "Red Widow," having lost her husband Richard in mysterious circumstances while he was in the field in Russia.  Lyndsey Duncan is brought in to the agency to conduct an internal investigation, an opportunity she jumps at since she is worried that her career is circling the drain after being put on administrative leave. These two women form an unlikely friendship, but there are twists and turns to this story, and it's impossible to know who to trust.  I found myself racing to the end of this book and already have the second one checked out.



Susie Luo's debut novel is a fantastic story that features three separate narrators and stories that converge at the end. Taking place in New York City, this story spans three decades.

Tony is a Chinese immigrant who was an engineer in China, but is a doorman now.  He and his wife have moved to America to give their daughter, Tammy, a better future.  Oliver is a wealthy white lawyer who lives in the building where Tony works.  A violent act causes these three stories to converge, and as we watch years pass we see how Tammy's life unfolds as a first generation American.  

The ending of this one didn't wrap up neatly, and it is the one thing I'd love to talk about with someone whose read it. I can see book clubs enjoying this one as well.  And since it is Luo's debut novel, I can't wait to see more from her.

No comments: