Monday, June 20, 2022

Novels of Suspense

I've made it through one week of summer school and am so happy that I am enjoying it much more than last year.  I like every single one of my students and aside from the fact that I am out of my comfort zone (which I partially why I have made myself do this the past two summers) and working on school stuff a lot, I haven't even minded a great deal that my reading time has been minimal.

My list of books I'd like to get to continues to grow, but I did manage to get these four novels of suspense checked off -and enjoyed them all.



 

Portrait of a Thief by Grace D Li is told in multiple perspectives as a group of young college friends make plans to steal back artwork that originated in China (where they all have ancestral ties) from several different museums around the globe.  This is fascinating as we see how the thieves think through their plans.


Breathless by Amy McCulloch- I don't generally read books about winter/snow in the middle of summer, but I found this mystery that centers around mountain climbing to be fascinating.  I also appreciated the twists in the end that I didn't see coming.


The Midcoast by Adam White- this is more of a slow moving, literary suspense novel.  Andrew has returned to his hometown, Damariscotta, Maine, where he becomes reacquainted with a high school friend, Ed Thatch. He stumbles upon a police file while he's at a barbecue at Ed's house depicting a burned out car with two charred bodies inside. From there Andrew recalls what has happened in Ed's life that has led up to this point.


Two Nights in Lisbon by Chris Pavone - I love Pavone's novels (my favorite is the Expats) and the international setting he writes so well.  This is one I recommended to my mom who will be visiting Portugal next month.  Short chapters, cliff hanger endings, and a twisting story kept me reading quickly.  I could easily see this one being made into a movie.


I've got a few heavier non-fiction books I'm working on as well as some YA and middle grade stuff.  I'll never read everything I want, but it sure is fun to keep trying.

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Tina, you picked some good ones. I like the Chris Parvone book really kept me guessing. I have Midcoast on my summer reading list and also have a copy of Portrait of a Thief.

Kay said...

I think the mountain climbing book sounds good and I'd love to be reading about cold weather as we experience mega-hot weather. I also brought that Chris Pavone book home from the library this week. It sounded good and now I'm glad to hear what you thought. Take care and enjoy what reading you're able to get to!