Wednesday, May 12, 2021

A Mildred Taylor Binge

I read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor years ago.  I have re-read it a few times since then, most recently with a group of eighth grade girls as their book club selection.  Having the opportunity to reunite with the Logans felt great.  It was like catching up with some good friends.

 

After finishing that book, I decided that with the story fresh in my mind, I should  carry on with the series while I still remembered things.  




Let The Circle Be Unbroken is the follow-up to ROFHMC and picks up right where the novel left off.  The book centers around the trial for TJ who has being tried for murder in front of an all-white jury.  A cousin comes to stay with the family for a while and tries to pass for white, which bothers Cassie a lot.  And from there the Logans life is chronicled in The Road to Memphis.  This novel takes place over a short time period - the few days it takes for Cassie, her brothers, and some friends to make their way to Memphis as they try to help Moe escape the law after he beat three white men with a tire iron.  The group's experiences traveling in the south were hard to read about and I found them a little bit anxiety provoking, knowing that a simple car trip could be one full of a great deal of danger.  Taylor finishes her series with All The Days Past, All The Days to Come where we see how Cassie's adult life unfolds.  We also watch her siblings grow up, work and marry.  Cassie pursues her career in law, but she has a couple relationships that are worth discussing as well. I'm not sure the last book is one intended for young readers, but I loved getting another glimpse of this family.  

I've already set aside a few others series I need to catch up on.  I'm feeling good about knowing what happens to the Logans, but also feel like Mildred Taylor left a few unanswered questions I'd like resolved. 


No comments: