Monday, September 7, 2020

Best Non-Fiction of August



With going back to school in August, my reading for the month was rather slim.  I did find time to read non-fiction books I enjoyed. 




 

The Office: The Untold Story of the Greatest Sitcom of the 2000s by Andy Greene -I became an Office watcher because my oldest daughter can quote episode after episode and laughs out loud every single time.  Finally I decided to drink the Kool-Aid myself. And I love this show.  I also listen to the podcast that Jenna Fischer and Angela Kinsey host each week as they deconstruct every episode of the show.  This book is detailed and because it's an oral history it's not a fast read.  However, I liked this look back at a very fun time in television.


Get Out of Your Head by Jennie Allen - this non-fiction book is part self-help, part faith centered.  Allen's book is for the worrier (that's me) and she gives some good advice on how worry and faith are interconnected.  I appreciated the Christ-centered advice she gave as well as her ability to tie in her personal experiences with anxiety and worry.


Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of An American Family by Robert Kolker- this might make my Top Ten List this year for non-fiction because I absolutely loved this book.  Kolker's book focuses on the Galvin family - and the fact that six of the twelve children were schizophrenic.  The narrative about this family is broken up with some chapters detailing mental illness and the treatments and research that have been done in regards to schizophrenia.  I was worried at first that I would get bogged down by the non-fiction portions, but Kolker writes for the layman and I found myself unable to put this book down.  


I'm hoping that September is a little better for reading.  Maybe once we are all back in our regular routine I can find some extra time to read for pleasure?  We had a beautiful Labor Day weekend, and I did get a little time in for reading, but there was also some cleaning, a long walk with a good friend, a day of kayaking, and laundry, meal prep and exercise as well.  

1 comment:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I need to get back to my nonfiction. The pandemic has scattered my brain and sent me reading lighter things.