Monday, January 6, 2020

Monday Mini-Reviews: The First of 2020


We went back to school last week, and it's like we never had a break. I like being in a routine, but I don't necessarily enjoy being overscheduled and busy every single minute.  Ah, well. Such is life.

For my first Monday, I've got three books to share that I enjoyed:






The Wives by Tarryn Fisher- this is one of my Book of the Month selections I ordered and enjoyed the storyline.  Thursday is married to a man with two other wives.  He spends one night a week with her and then rotates to his other wives. No one else knows about their arrangement, but Thursday is curious about these other wives and starts to do some investigating about who they are.  I liked the suspense of this one, but after some strange twists and turns, was a little disappointed by the ending.  


Meet Me in Monaco by Hazel Gaynor and Heather Webb -I've always enjoyed reading about Princess Grace, and this historical fiction novel was enjoyable for the storyline that centered around Sophie Duvel, a parfumier, who befriends Grace Kelly as she tries to hide from the press.  James, the photographer who was chasing Kelly, meets Sophie and the two have an instant connection.  However, events in both their lives occur at critical moments, keeping them apart.  

Dear Edward by Ann Napolitano - Edward is the sole survivor of a plane crash that killed 191 people.  This novel moves back and forth in time, from the present where Edward has moved in with his aunt and uncle and is trying to deal with his grief, to the events on the actual flight, where we meet several of the people on the plane.  I wasn't entirely invested in the stories of the various passengers initially, but as the novel progressed, I did care about them and their stories.  This is an enjoyable, if somewhat heartbreaking, story.


Despite having something planned each night this week, I'm hoping I can carver out a few minutes to get some reading done.  


2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Dear Edward is on my list as well. Something about your mini review reminds me of a book I read previous but it was a smaller private plane crash and the survivor?

Ti said...

I have Dear Edward on my list too. I don't like plane crash stories but this one, about a child survivor seems compelling.