Monday, January 13, 2020

Monday Blast From the Past

Last year I was organized enough to have posts started for each of my blast from the past installments months in advance of when they would be posting.  Apparently I was only organized through December of 2019 and the first Monday in January totally snuck past me.  

I love looking back through what I read and the books from January of 2010 are definitely worth remembering:






The Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt is absolutely one of my favorite books of all time and this first reading ten years ago is just one of several I have had since then as I shared the book with my daughters and book clubs.  I love the 60's setting, the Shakespearean references, the humor and the heartbreak in this novel.  Holling Hoodhood is a protagonist I loved and I wish I could meet up with him again.

Saving Ceecee Honeycut by Beth Hoffman - this book sticks in my mind only because I know I loved it.  Coming of age novels are some of my favorites, and this fits the bill, as well as provides a quirky cast of characters and a southern setting.

Knit the Season by Kate Jacobs- I loved The Friday Night Knitting Club books and happily enjoyed this addition to the series set around the holiday season. I haven't though about these books for a while, but now that I ran across this title, it makes me wonder what happened to Kate Jacobs and her characters.

Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery- I never read this series as a child, instead reading and re-reading the Little House books numerous times.  Ever since reading this first one, I've often thought to myself that I would continue on with the series.  Seeing that an entire decade has passed, perhaps I should at least pick up the second book this year.

The Road to Tater Hill by Edith Hemingway - this middle grade novel centers around Annie who is living with her grandparents when her dad is deployed.  Her mother has given birth to a baby, a little sister for Annie, that dies. Annie's mom seems to be slipping away, and Annie could really use her dad's help right about now.


Such great books I have had the pleasure of reading!  How about you? What were you reading a decade ago? What about last year at this time?

No comments: