Monday, November 11, 2019

Monday Mini-Reviews: It's Been A Long Time




It's been quite a while since I've done some mini-reviews, and honestly, this past week might have been my worst for getting anything read that I can remember. I prepared all week for a big library meeting on Friday. On Saturday I was part of a librarian panel at UNI and then yesterday was scholarship day at Wartburg College for Big Sister followed by the cross country award ceremony last night.  Reading seems to have taken a back seat to the various activities that are going on.

However, I did get through a few books this past week that are worth mentioning.





The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms is one I thoroughly enjoyed. When Amy's estranged husband returns after several years overseas as he tried to find himself, he is intent on developing a relationship with their children.  This leaves Amy at loose ends as she tries to find out who she really is. The summer she spends in New York City finding herself is entertaining and although this might seem a light read, there are some real nuggets of wisdom in it as well.

Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella is the latest in her Shopaholic series.  I've read all of these books and some are better than others.  This is a fun installment as Becky tries to hunt down the perfect gift for her husband and plans on hosting Christmas this year. Of course there are plenty of misunderstandings as usual, but this is story is definitely enjoyable.

Akin by Emma Donoghue -I didn't love Room as much as some of my friends and found that story disturbing, but that didn't mean I wouldn't try another book by Donoghue.  This story is one ties into the history of World War II in Nice, France, as Noah, a retired professor returns to France and his hometown for his first visit since he left as a young child.  He has some photos he found that his mother took that he'd like to research - and he also has his eleven year old great nephew (who he has never met) along on the trip.  I loved the historical aspect of this story and only wish that I hadn't had to read it in such short bursts over the past week.

All three of these books are worth curling up with on these cold, dark November evenings.  

No comments: