Monday, April 23, 2018

Monday Mini Reviews: Three Grown-Up Reads



This was a week where I actually read some of the library books I checked out before I took them back.  Lately I have lots of books checked out to me, but my stack of ARCs is so overwhelming, I just look at the library books, then take them back and put them on hold again.  




1.  Sisters First: Stories From Our Wild and Wonderful Life by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush - I got to meet the Bush twins last year at BEA and was looking forward to this book since then.  I started to read it and then saw that I could get it on Audible and hear the twins narrate it themselves.  I loved it.  I didn't think anything they said was earth-shattering and I have heard many of their anecdotes before, but it was fun to hear about their childhood and listen to their perspective of growing up in the White House.  I finished this up on the day their Ganny passed away, and especially appreciated their memories of her.

2.  Force of Nature by Jane Harper - this is the second in the Aaron Falk series set in Australia, following The Dry that was published last year.  Aside from presence of Falk in both books, Force of Nature could certainly stand alone.  I liked this one more than The Dry (although that novel is also enjoyable), and was sucked in to trying to figure out what happened to Alice, a woman who embarks on a work trip/survival camp weekend, but doesn't come back with the rest of the women in the group.  The book moves back and forth between the search for Alice, and the events as they unfolded as the group set out for their survival weekend.  Secrets, a long ago crime, the Australian bush all help make this novel enjoyable. I have high hopes for this series and can't wait for the next installment.

3.  The Female Persuasion by Meg Wolitzer - I have tried reading other books by Wolitzer without a great deal of success.  However, Annie B. Jones gushes about this book on her podcast From the Front Porch, admitting similar feelings about other Wolitzer books, so I thought I should give it a chance.  I liked the Female Persuasion and give it a sold four stars.  But I didn't love it.  Wolitzer's characters are perhaps what I enjoyed the most.  They are fully developed, real, flawed and interesting.  Greer's story is the focus for much of the novel.  She is a college freshman when she meets Faith Frank, a famous woman who has been a leading figure in the women's movement. Their chance encounter in the women's room eventually impacts Greer's entire life.  We see Greer and her friend, Zee, grow up, and make their own way in the world, their dreams changing over time.  I love writers who can create such real characters. I am still thinking about this book after finishing it several days ago, and think it might be one of those stories that continue to grow better in my mind as I keep thinking about it.

I've got lots in store for this week: soccer practices and games, track meets, golf meets, driver's ed classes for Middle Sister and a lot of organizing and ordering to do at work.  I hope I can work in some time for reading as well.

Any recommendations for me?

1 comment:

Kay said...

I have a suggestion for you - Dear Mrs. Bird - not out in the US yet, but you might be able to snag an advance copy. Anyway, keep that one in mind. I really enjoyed it.

I loved Force of Nature and can't wait for the next either. Have thought about the Wolitzer book, but I've not read any others by her. Maybe, we'll see. Was sad to lose Barbara Bush, but she was quite the First Lady in many ways. I ought to try her granddaughters' book on audio as well.

Oh, and can't believe that you middle girl is old enough for drivers ed! Time marches on, doesn't it? LOL