Monday, March 19, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews: A Spring Break Recap



With a whole week off, it would seem that I would have zipped through many books.  However, we were pretty busy much of the week.  (At some point I might even get around to sharing the various places we visited). I did get some good reading in, just not as much as I would have liked.

Highlights of the week include the titles below:




The Newcomers: Finding Refuge, Friendship and Hope in an American Classroom by Helen Thorpe- I really like Thorpe's books so I was happy to see she had a new one out. The Newcomers is the story of a group of students in a newcomer ELL classroom in Denver, Colorado. Thorpe spends the year in the classroom and also visits the families of these students to learn their stories. I was not at all surprised to hear stories of hope and survival, but am always appreciative of life in the United States when I see how many other countries cannot provide their citizens basic essentials.

Roomies by Christina Lauren-  this is just a fun, quick book with some romance. Holland has had a crush on a subway busker for quite a while.  Eventually through a strange series of events, she gets the busker, whose music she adores, an audition with her uncle who happens to be a musical director for a famous Broadway show.  However, Calvin (the busker) can't take the job because he is in the country illegally.  Holland saves the day by volunteering to marry him.

The Late Bloomer's Club by Louise Miller- this book is not yet published and I received an ARC via NetGalley -  I loved Nora, the protagonist. She runs the local diner, takes care of her younger, carefree sister and struggles with finances. When a local cakemaker dies and leaves Nora and her sister, Kit, her farm, you would expect their money woes to be over. But, there's an opportunity to sell to a big business - something that may hurt the small town.  Miller's newest book is just as good as her first, and I couldn't help but root for Nora to find happiness  - not just financial freedom.

Big Chicken: The Incredible Story of How Antibiotics Created Modern Agriculture and Changed the Way The World Eats by Maryn McKenna - this book is so interesting and thought provoking.  There's plenty of science-y information in it, yet it is written in a way that anyone can understand and appreciate.  Although I knew a little about antibiotic resistance, McKenna's explanation and information definitely blew me away. I think this is a book I could hand off to many adults - definitely worth a discussion.

This Love Story Will Self-Destruct by Leslie Cohen - narrated by Ben and Eve, these two characters lives' intersect a variety of times, yet there isn't a romance....until the time is right.  I liked the set-up of this book, hearing from both characters (which I realize is something that happens often) and getting their take on things before the two of them became interested in each other.  

And now...it's Monday morning.  The real world is calling and spring break is over.  I'm off for a run on the treadmill in the hopes of starting off my week the right way. 

Anything you've read this past week that's worth a mention?

1 comment:

Kay said...

Sorry your spring break is at an end, but you are that much closer to the end of the school year, right? Have a good week!