Friday, November 24, 2017

Friday Five: Gift Ideas

Last night I made my annual Black Friday trip to Target. I don't need anything, but I love looking, and usually stock up on some good DVDs on this night.  This year all my girls went with me, which was a first.  

I am attempting to get my Christmas shopping done.  However, that isn't really so easy. I have lots of things I want for myself and when I see that they are on sale, it's hard to resist.  My girls don't have big lists of things they want, but the idea of getting very little isn't going over very well with them. Basically, they see that some of their friends are getting A LOT of stuff each Christmas, and we don't really give like that.  I remind them of the reason we celebrate Christmas often, and hope that someday they realize that a more frugal holiday is really OK.  

Next week I'll have a lot of great clothing items in my Friday Five post, but this week I have many good gift ideas for tweens and teens.






1.   Scratch Off Map - because we take a vacation each summer, I think this would be a fun thing to have framed in our house.  There is also a world map available, but we wouldn't be able to scratch anything off on that one, so the US map is the one I'd go with.





2.  Five Foot Charge Cords - it seems someone always has my charger cord. I have purchased extras, but even those seem to disappear.  I like the length of these cords, because often my children will move the couch closer to an outlet in order to be on their phone while it is charging.








3.   Origami Owl Necklace and Charms - my youngest daughter saved her money one year and got a necklace from Origami Owl. We bought a few charms at the time, but have added a new one occasionally. These are great stocking stuffers.






4. Travel and Makeup Bag - Middle Sister got one of these before she went to camp this past summer. Now it is time to get the other girls their own.  I like how the items inside can remain standing up and how the bag cinches off as well.  






5.  Snow Cat Faux-Fur Tall Booties - who doesn't need a pair of fur slippers? 




6.  Vera Bradley Lanyard and Zip ID Case - all of my daughters have these and use them daily. My youngest daughter's best friend has looked at hers longingly, so we bought her her own.  Vera Bradley has so many great colors and designs.






7.  Flannel Sheets - we don't have a lot of extra sheet sets. Right now these are just $15 at Target.  









8.  Initial Pendant Necklace - a while ago Big Sister remarked that she wanted a necklace with her initial on it.  I have loved these from Nordstrom for forever, but never bought one for myself.  






9.  Harry Potter Sheet Set - and for the Harry Potter fan....who doesn't need a set of Harry Potter sheets?



10.  Mini Bluetooth Pet Speaker - there are lots of different animals available in this line and I had a hard time choosing one for Little Sister.  This isn't something she knows she is getting, but something I think she will like and use.





So, how about you? Any great gift ideas I need to know about?

2 comments:

Dianna said...

We usually stick to 3-4 gifts per child. Like you said, lots of their friends get WAY more so it's sometimes a slight issue. Our kids love to receive art supplies like sketch books and high-quality sketch pens. These items get used all year long.

Ti said...

Because my daughter's club volleyball tuition was over $3500 and her choir trip is over $2300 she is not getting a lot this year. She usually gets less than what her friends get anyway but this year, we had to cut back. Plus we all had to get new phones because ours were dying so she will have to make do. Plus, she asked for very specific things which I am not opposed to getting but I looked in her dresser and saw some of the beloved items she asked for LAST Christmas and the tags are still on them.

I want everything so all this looking is making me want stuff. I have been volunteering a lot for homeless outreach and we all have too much stuff. These people I spend time with often have only one good meal a week and that's the one we serve them. We don't need every trendy thing out there. I'd rather see a show or something.