Friday, November 18, 2016

TLC Book Tour: Girl Unbroken

Regina Calcaterra's wrote about the childhood she and her siblings endured (and survived) on Long Island in the 1970s and 80s.  

Girl Unbroken: A Sister's Harrowing Story of Survival From the Streets of Long Island to the Farms of Idaho is Calcaterra's youngest sister's story. 




Rosie Maloney writes of a childhood full of physical abuse and verbal abuse, as she is raised by a mother who is mentally ill.  I've read several of these types of memoir before.  No matter the author, I believe that writing their story is therapeutic and cathartic for them.  I believe this of Maloney's story as well.  But what makes this more than just another story of this genre is Maloney's voice.

I felt as though I could relate to Maloney almost instantly.  She grew up in the same time period I did, although my childhood was nothing like hers.  Her writing is smart and she has a talent for recounting what her life was like in a matter of fact way.  I felt sorry for her, but knew because she had written her story, that she survived.  

I've always been a sucker for a survivor's story.  From One Child by Torey L. Hayden to They Cage The Animals At Night, there are tons of well-written books that fall into this category.  This book should be included in the list.



Thanks to TLC Books for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

Visit the Harper Collins website to find out more about Girl Unbroken.




No comments: