Monday, August 24, 2026

Non-Fiction Tuesday: Feeling Conflicted

 Several months ago I pre-ordered Great and Unfortunate Things by Jason Arday, his memoir.  I didn't know much about the book, but it sounded interesting, and I love a good memoir.





The book was published on August 12 and arrived on my doorstep that day.  KellyHooker (@kellyhook.readsbooks) on Instagram reminded me of it with her Tuesday Pub Party post she makes each week.

On August 14, I read about Jason Arday, Cambridge's first black professor, who at just forty-one years old, had died. 

And on August 15, I picked up Great And Unfortunate Things and began reading. At the time I hadn't looked at the author's name or his picture on the back flap, but within a few pages I thought this book was sounding an awful lot like the Cambridge professor who had been in the news because he was under investigation for having plagiarised some of his research. Arday did not dispute this, citing his autism as the reason for this as well as the fact that he didn't have enough mentorship.

Upon further reading, it seems that Arday has told some rather fantastical tales about his personal life: he claims he ran thirty marathons in thirty-five days, took part in a program as a child that occurred two decades before he was even born, claims he was non-verbal until the age of eleven, along with various other incredible, hard to believe stories.

I haven't picked up the book once I realized what had happened to Arday.  I am saddened that the investigation into his work affected him so deeply, but don't know enough of the details to understand how such situations are dealt with.  But I also found that each page I read made me question the truth of what Arday wrote.  Not only did these accusations affect him professionally, but it draws questions to his character.  

Do I keep reading this book, wondering with each sentence if there is any truth to what he writes? Do I read this and enjoy it as a work of fiction? And what becomes of the charges leveled against Arday now that he is gone?

This isn't the first time I've read a book where plagiarism occurred, but in the past that hasn't been revealed until long after I turned the last page. 

What are your thoughts?


1 comment:

Kay said...

Hmmm....that is a sad tale, Tina. Not sure what I would do. Maybe set it aside for now and pick it up again at a later time. Oh, also, hope you have a good school year! Will be thinking of you!