Thursday, August 13, 2026

Monday Mini-Reviews and London Re-Cap

 Our London adventure was short, but we saw quite a bit of the city, and it just makes me want to go back and explore more another time.

Highlights - walking around Notting Hill (Little Sister has not seen the movie yet)



The Hop-On, Hop-Off Bus Tour worked well for taking us to some iconic places. This is at The Tower of London after our river cruise down the Thames. 



The London Eye was a fun way to see the city - and also rather incredible how many people can fit into just one pod 



And who goes to London without stopping for tea?  We had reservations at The Milestone, and despite the fact that none of us enjoy tea (although they did offer 27 varieties), we did have a good time. (The sandwiches, pastries, and scones made up for the tea).


Because I had so much time in airports, airplanes, and adjusting to the time change, I read some really good books. 




I love reading about the space race, especially if the story is narrated by astronaut wives or includes a personal aspect to the story. This is such a good story. Set in 1968, Joe Mitchell is an astronaut excited to make history. However, when his spacecraft loses contact with NASA, it is his wife Vivian's worst nightmare.  The story travels from the present as the nation waits to find out what happened, to the past as Vivian recounts meeting Joe and their love story.  There is a touch of  magical realism to this one, but I found myself finding it impossible to put this book down. 




The Parisian Heist was the first book I read on our trip, and the fact that our flight was delayed for ninety minutes didn't really bother me because I had a hard time putting this one down.

This story moves between two timelines and narrators.  The first narrator, Emma, is struggling to make ends meet in Paris, cleans the home of Stella Swanson, a wealthy widow of one of the world's most notorious art dealers.  Emma meets Stella's grandson who she is attracted to, but it's hard to know if she can trust anyone as Stella's family is trying to make sure she doesn't inherit her husband's vast fortunes - but is also hiding an original Van Gogh.

Jo Van Gogh, Vincent's sister-in-law is the second narrator, who has been widowed and is trying to eke out an existence while trying to promote her dead brother-in-law's work.  

These two stories are full of suspense and I so enjoyed the way that Jo Van Gogh's story came together with the present day.




Off The Record seemed a little trite at first after finishing  The Parisian Heist, but I quickly was able to get into this book and I loved it.  

It's 1962, and Judy Greenberg, recent college graduate, wants to put her journalism degree to good use.  However, her mother believes that Judy needs to get married, and she should be happy as a housewife and mother. 

When Judy is hired to work in the typing pool at a Washington, D.C., newspaper, she gets her foot in the door.  

And when she answers the phone in her boss's office and takes a cryptic message she is sure she has uncovered a huge scoop.  Luckily, she's made friends with a charming reporter, Jack Fields, who realizes how talented and smart Judy is and is more than happy to investigate with her.

I loved the time period, I loved the journalism/newspaper setting, and I loved the romance.  I have already downloaded a few other books about Sara Goodman Confino because this one was so enjoyable.  


Vacation reading is always so enjoyable.  We had a great time on our trip, but upon arriving home, I have quickly returned to reality and am back at school working to prepare for this upcoming year.

No comments: