Monday, September 30, 2024

Monday Mini-Reviews: September Fiction Reflections

 September has passed in a whirlwind where I spend some days thinking that we must have been in school for at least a hundred days already, and the next wishing I could find a way to get into a routine.  


I've done a lot of reading, though.  


Some September highlights:



Tell Me Everything by Elizabeth Strout is the fifth in this series.  I love all the different characters and enjoyed catching up with them again. I still haven't read The Burgess Boys, which I definitely need to do.  Strout's writing style is one I find I need a bit to get into, but I know it's not for everyone. I sent Oh, William! home with  my mom a few weeks ago, but she returned it this weekend, exclaiming that she just couldn't get into it.





The Night We Lost Him by Laura Dave- I loved Dave's most recent book, The Last Thing He Told Me, so much.  This one was enjoyable, but it didn't live up to how much I loved that one.  When Liam Noone dies (leaving behind three ex-wives and some children), Nora and Sam, estranged siblings, work together to determine whether their father jumped to his death or was pushed.  There is a little suspense, and I do enjoy Dave's writing, so this is still a four-star read for me.




The Hidden Life of Cecily Larson has been on my radar for a while.  I loved Baker's first book, Keeping the House and enjoyed her sophomore novel as well.  I am not someone who loves a book set in a circus, but this one was so good. We get to see various points in Cecily Larson's life from the time she was left in an orphanage by her mother, to her role as a grandmother at the age of ninety-four.  There were so many secrets her family never knew about her, but when her great-grandson takes a sample of her saliva for an at-home DNA test, Cecily is confronted by her past.  I loved the Minnesota setting and hope we don't have to wait as long to hear from Baker again.


For whatever reason, nonfiction really worked for me this month, so I didn't get as many fiction titles read as I normally do.  October is literally right around the corner, so I guess we will see what I feel like reading as the weather turns colder.


No comments: