Sunday, June 23, 2024

Monday Mini Reviews: A Month of Record Breaking Reading

 This month the stars have aligned and I have read a record number of books - and most of them have been great.


This past week I enjoyed Lula Dean's Little Library of Banned Books by Kirsten Miller.  This will probably be one of my favorite books of the year.  First of all, I love anything about books.  The humor had me chuckling out loud, and I loved the many residents of the small town who were affected by Lula Dean's book ban.  As most books seem to these days, there's an agenda that Miller has with her story, but it wasn't so pervasive that I couldn't enjoy the reading experience.  This is the book that our local book club will be reading for July.




These three are among my favorites for June as well.  

Margo's Got Money Troubles by Rufi Thorpe is a unique story about a young woman who tries to make a living after she finds out she is pregnant.  The possibilities she has aren't plentiful so she comes up with some unique ways to generate income. I wasn't sure what to think about this one, but I loved it.  And now I need to pick up Thorpe's first book.


Anna Bright Is Hiding Something by Susie Orman Schnall is a fictional story that closely resembles the real life story of Elizabeth Holmes, an American biotech entrepreneur, who defrauded investors out of millions of dollars. I have read anything I could get my hands on about Holmes as well as listened to a podcast and watched the Hulu series about her.  I read this in one sitting and couldn't put it down.  I'd hand this to anyone who is looking for something entertaining and fast.


Summer Romance by Annabel Monaghan is Monaghan's third book, and is as fantastic as her first (her second was good as well).  I love a good rom-com and Monaghan has the formula for this perfected.  Ali Morris is in the process of divorcing and even wearing hard pants seems like a lot of effort.  When her dog pees on a guy at the dog park, the two start a conversation and end up hanging out once.  There are obstacles in the way, of course, but they don't seem contrived or unrealistic.  I'm always OK with already knowing how things will end in a rom-com and this one was delightful.  I don't necessarily love when authors churn books out a rapid pace, but I do hope there is another one in the works already.




  


I can't believe we are in the last full week of June.  In just a few days I'll be looking over the list of books I've read this year and picking out my favorites.  

No comments: