Sunday, May 19, 2024

Monday Mini-Reviews: A Weekend of Reading at State Track

 Reading at the state track meet has become something I truly look forward to each year.  I do watch the running, but I don't necessarily care about every race.  And since we are sitting there for HOURS at a time, I can generally get through a book each day.  




I started on Thursday with the new Sally Hepworth book, The Darling Girls.  I've read a few reviews on Instagram that have commented on the darkness of this one.  It does seem a bit darker than some of Hepworth's other books and if child abuse is a trigger for you, this may be one you skip.  However, it's a page-turner, and I appreciated that while I figured a few things out, much of it took twists I wasn't predicting.  She's an auto-read/auto-buy author for me and if you're looking for a fast novel of suspense, this is an enjoyable one.




On Friday I brought the newest Mary Kay Andrews novel along.  Summers at the Saint follows MKA's tried and true recipe: Southern setting, a little romance and a little suspense that generally is wrapped up neatly by book's end.  I always feel like a new MKA book each spring is the way I know summer is just around the corner.  I've had an ARC of this one for a while, and purposely waited until mid May before I let myself crack it open.  There are lots of characters in this one - and at the book's beginning it may be hard to see where things are going.  But,  as someone who has read all of Andrews' books, I knew it would all come together, and it did.  Although nearly 500 pages, it flew by.




And finally, on Saturday I brought along Crow Talk by Eileen Garvin.  I purposely went into this one blind.  I didn't even let myself read the inside flap.  Initially I thought I had picked up an historical fiction book, but it is set in 1998 and since that doesn't seem all that long ago to me, I've decided we'll call it realistic fiction. I not only loved the time period, but I also loved the Pacific Northwest setting and Frankie's fascination on crows.  Although not my favorite bird, I do have a better appreciation of them after reading this.  I also loved the friendship between Frankie and Anne which was slow to start in the beginning, but deepened as the two lonely women got to know each other.  Frankie was spending the summer in her family's cabin while trying to sort out finishing her masters degree after making her advisor angry, while Anne has arrived with her husband, Tim, and young son who at the age of five has become nonverbal.  This is one I easily rated five stars on Goodreads.


I've still got a couple weeks of school left - and plenty to do before I'm done for the year.  Reading time won't be abundant until my last day is over, but I feel lucky I had time to get some great book in this past weekend.

1 comment:

Mystica said...

Three very diverse books. Thanks for the reviews