Monday, April 8, 2024

Monday Mini-Reviews: Romances

 I don't read a ton of romances, but I generally enjoy them when I do.  My daughters are all in the phase where they enjoy rom-coms and chick lit books a lot.  Often I can hand off the romances I read to them.  However, the last three I read are definitely more open door than I feel comfortable giving to them. (I'm totally fine with them reading them on their own, but I won't be pressing them into their hands).



Done And Dusted by Lyla Sage is the first in the Rebel Blue Ranch series set on a ranch in Wyoming.  Emmy returns home after a bad fall from her horse that has left her unable to ride at all.  She's always found her brother Gus' best friend, Luke, to be annoying- definitely not someone she would spend time with.  But Luke isn't who Emmy thought he was and when he volunteers to help her get back to riding again, she takes him up on his offer.  This the familiar frenemies to friends to lovers trope which I always enjoy.  The second in this series is already out and I know I'll be picking it up soon.




Before I Let You Go by Kennedy Ryan is the first in the Skyland series.  Ryan is a new-to-me author, but she is quickly becoming an auto-read author and I can't wait for the third installment to be published.

This first book features Yasmen and Josiah a couple who was so in love that they couldn't ever imagine being apart.  But after a series of devastating losses, the two can't seem to find their way together and eventually divorce.  Narrated by both Yasmen and Josiah, we can see their thoughts and perspectives as they navigate being single, yet working together and raising children together.  And trying to deal with the fact that they both are still in love with each other.  




The second installment in the Skyland series features Soledad Barnes, one of Yasmen's best friends.  Soledad is the mother to three girls and unhappily married.  This book features the demise of Soledad's marriage and the aftershocks she must deal with as her ex was even more devious and dishonest than anyone would expect.  

I liked that Yasmen makes many appearances in this novel and we continue to see how her story plays out.  And I can't wait to read Hendrix's story in the third installment.  

All of these books are predictable as far as romances go. I knew who each woman would end up with and that the road to get there would be full of challenges, but that true love would prevail.  These three books are steamy, but the stories are also engaging and kept me turning pages.


I'm glad I have a few more by these authors that I will get to enjoy soon.



No comments: