Thursday, March 7, 2024

Middle Grade Historical Fiction

 

February really was a month full of historical fiction.  I picked up this book after seeing Janssen at EverydayReading post on instagram that she was reading it aloud to her daughters. It had been on a TBR on my desk at school for far too long.





It's 1914 and Norvia has spent her childhood on Beaver Island hearing about her Ojibwe heritage from her grandfather.  After her parents divorce and her mother remarries, relocating the family to the city, Norvia is told to keep her native heritage a secret.

Now she has a stepfather and stepbrother, Vernon along with exciting things like automobiles, soda shops and movies.  WWI is looming, but Norvia wants this to be the best year yet as she dreams of going on to high school.

I loved this one.  I loved the setting on the island and small town. I loved Norvia's stepfather who was kind and patient and wanted the best for his own children and stepchildren. I loved that this one incorporated some faith in it as well without it seeming preachy. And I loved that this one was inspired by Anna Rose Johnson's family history.

This one was a five star read!

No comments: