Sunday, October 2, 2022

Blast From the Past: October 2012

 When I look back through my reading journals, it is always surprising which books jog my memory. Despite the fact that an entire decade has passed, I am often able to remember bits and pieces of things that were going on in my life at the time I read certain books. 

Here are four from October 2012 that I enjoyed:




Safekeeping by Karen Hesse - I love Karen Hesse's work, and this one was good, but felt like a departure from the other stuff of hers I had read.  Dystopian, set in the near future, it seems likely enough that the whole thing was a little creepy.

Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple - I loved this one. A clever story about a mom who disappears after a fundraising event at her childrens' school goes awry.  

Shadow on the Mountain by Margi Preus - based on a true story. Set in Norway during WWII, features a fourteen year old, Espen, and his part in the Norwegian Resistance.  There's suspense and I loved that there was so much I learned from this work of fiction.

Cascade by Maryanne O'Hara - set in the 1930s in Cascade, Massachusetts.  Dez cares for her father until his death, leaving her in a small town, not realizing her ambitions and dreams.  When given the chance to start a new life in New York, there are consequences for her choices.  

What were you reading back in October of 2012? What about last October?  I keep hearing that this is the time to read some spooky books, but I rarely pick anything up like that because it is a certain time of year.  What am I missing out on?

1 comment:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Four books I read in October 2012: October Mourning by Leslea Newman; The Abhorsen by Garth Nix; The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater; Still Alice by Lisa Genova. I can't believe it has been ten years since I read all these books.