Sunday, January 2, 2022

Blast From the Past: January 2012

 It's time to look back at my reading from January of 2002.  Time really does fly by because I remember reading these books...and it definitely doesn't feel like a decade ago!

I'd still pick these five up again and I'd feel happy to recommend them to others.



Unmeasured Strength by Lauren Manning -Lauren Manning's story is one I followed since she was engulfed by a fireball as she was on her way to work in the World Trade Center on September 11.  Her husband, Greg, wrote a memoir titled Love, Greg and Lauren chronicling her recover from the extensive burns that covered her body.  This is Manning's memoir as she recounts what happened in the years after she was injured.  I am always amazed by this woman.

Defending Jacob by William Landay - this reads a little like a Jodi Picoult novel and I still enjoy pressing it into peoples' hands.  Andy is an assistant DA and has a happy home life with his wife and son.  When a horrible crime occurs, it is Andy's son, Jacob, who is a suspect.  Andy believes in his son's innocence, but the crime goes to trial and this court room drama is full of suspense.

Louise's War by Sarah Shaber- I love this mystery series although it's never really gained much attention.  This is the first Louise Pearlie mystery (of seven) which takes place in 1942 when Louise comes to Washington, DC to work for the OSS which is the precursor to the CIA.  I love both the time period and setting of these mysteries.

When Life Give You OJ by Erica Perl - Zelly desperately wants a dog, but her parents aren't agreeable to this plan.  So, Zelly's grandfather comes up with a plan: Zelly will get a practice dog - an empty OJ container that she walks every day, feeds, and plays with.  

The Berlin Boxing Club by Robert Sharenow -this book is based on true events which is always something that helps me enjoy my reading a little more.  Although Karl is Jewish his family isn't practicing.  That doesn't stop bullies at school. When his dad lines up boxing lessons with Max Schmeling, a champion boxer, it gives Karl a chance to be someone new.  I had a span of time when I read very few books set during WWII, but this is one of the best I read in quite some time.

How about you?  What were you reading back in January of 2002? What about last January?

No comments: