Monday, January 24, 2022

2022 Five Star Reads: These Silent Woods

I've had another week of reading in 2022 that's been fantastic.  I picked up These Silent woods by Kimi Cunningham Grant one night and finished it off the next day.  If I hadn't had to go to work, it would have been finished in one sitting. I know it's early to be predicting things, but I'm already thinking this book will be one of my favorites of the year.



 


There is so much to love about this book. I went into it knowing almost nothing, but was quickly sucked in to the story.  


Cooper is living off the grid with his young daughter, Finch. He's back from tours in Afghanistan where he witnessed some truly awful things.  He trusts no one and believes that in order to keep his little family safe, no one can know where they are.  

When a young woman is spotted in the woods, he is already feeling like their safety has been compromised.  And that is just the start of Cooper's problems. 

I loved the writing in this book (I'm not someone who notices that very often).  and I loved both Cooper and Finch.  Grant ties up this story in such an interesting way that it was an ending I didn't see coming.


I'm going to be thinking about these characters for a long time - and hoping for more from this author.

 

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I'm waiting for the audio from library - glad you loved it!

Kay said...

I checked and found that my new library has this book. It's checked out right now, but I bookmarked it so I won't forget to check it out. Sounds good!