Monday, December 13, 2021

Monday Mini-Reviews: A Few Quick Reads

This past weekend I found a little bit of a reading groove and finished off a few books. I've been looking through my stacks of library books and also picking through some that I've checked out several times without getting to them.  That's resulted in me getting through a fairly decent amount of some enjoyable books.  



 

The First Day of Spring by Nancy Tucker - I've heard this one compared to The Push by Ashely Audrain (which I loved). The narration in this novel was disturbing, but yet I found the book hard to put down.  Chrissie, who killed a child when she was eight, led a childhood full of abuse and neglect and the book flips back and forth between her childhood and her adulthood as she tries to raise her own child.  


Heard It In A Love Song by Tracey Garvis Graves - women's fiction/romance; Layla is newly divorced and getting back to playing music in her free time.  She hits it off with Josh a recently separated dad whose daughter attends the school where Layla teaches. The two hang out - and despite both of them being a little gun-shy about relationships find themselves falling in love. But of course, nothing ever goes smoothly.  


Don't Look For Me by Wendy Walker - Molly Clarke has plenty of reasons to run away from her life. Her son and daughter have no time for her, she's sure her husband is having an affair, and probably most important - she can't forgive herself for the car accident that killed her youngest daughter.  But Molly didn't run away and is being held hostage....


Friends Like These by Kimberly McCreight - a few too many narrators to keep straight and an anonymous narrator (that I didn't catch onto until pretty late in the story) - there are lots of twists and turns, and this novel of suspense did keep me turning pages frantically by the end.  Not my favorite of her books, but I still enjoyed it.


Four winners that were all quick and interesting.  What more could I want from my reading during these crazy busy weeks before the holidays?

No comments: