Sunday, August 1, 2021

Blast From the Past: August 2011

 Apparently August of 2011 was not filled with a ton of memorable books.  I'm not sure what exactly I was up to a decade ago.  Maybe the fact that I had three kid who were 9, 7 and 4 years old is enough to realize that there wasn't a ton of extra reading time. 

However, these two books are ones I do remember quite well.  I loved them both.



Ten Rules For Living with My Sister by Ann M Martin - Pearl and her older sister Lexie are forced to share a bedroom when their grandfather moves in with them.  While Pearl isn't that upset about it, she realizes that every single thing she does annoys her older sister. Lexie's in eighth grade and having a little sister is something she doesn't have the patience for.  I read this to one of my daughters and I remember having good conversations about the sister relationship (something that my girls can relate to quite well).

What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty - this might be my favorite of Moriarty's books.  Alice wakes up after sustaining an injury at the gym having forgotten a decade of her life.  In her mind she's happily married yet now she is getting divorced, has three kids and a sister who won't even talk to her.  She struggles to put the pieces of her life back together and figure out where things went wrong.  This is still my favorite Moriarty book.  It is a fun read while still containing some thoughtful ideas and talking points.  

What were you reading back in August of 2011? Or how about last August?


1 comment:

Ti said...

In August 2011 I was reading Dance, Dance, Dance by Haruki Murakami. Wow. That seems like a long time ago.