Wednesday, December 2, 2020

The Efficient, Inventive (Often Annoying) Melville Dewey

 I've taught students about the Dewey Decimal system for years now, but never had a great read aloud to share with them about the man responsible for how libraries are organized.



What I knew of Dewey was minimal at best, so I appreciate that this picture book adds to my depth of knowledge.  I also love that this is a book that shows Melvil Dewey realistically. While he had a fantastic method for organizing books - one that is so good we continue to use it for more than a hundred years -he was not a likeable person (at least for many people).  

I wouldn't read this book to lower elementary, but it is perfect for upper elementary and even middle school.  Most of my students have never even wondered who came up with the way we organize library books, so this is a book that's full of good information and presented in an easily readable and enjoyable format.  

As an adult I love that there is an author's note providing more information, a timeline of his life and accomplishments, as well as some other information about the Dewey Decimal Classification System.  

1 comment:

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I want it just for that cover!!!! Are the other pictures as cute?