Monday, November 16, 2020

Non-Fiction November: Week 3

Rennie is hosting Nonfiction November this week which features the Be/Ask/Become an Expert this week.  






Three ways to join in this week! You can either share 3 or more books on a single topic that you have read and can recommend (be the expert), you can put the call out for good nonfiction on a specific topic that you have been dying to read (ask the expert), or you can create your own list of books on a topic that you’d like to read (become the expert).

There are many topics I'd love to learn more about. If anything, I suffer from the problem of wanting to read books on too many topics.  However, I do find myself gravitating toward some of the same subjects. I love books about education, genetics, a variety of sports, high achieving children, disasters, and the presidents.

Despite the fact that we've all been inundated with election coverage, I still find myself drawn to books about people in politics.  The books aren't really about politics, but rather the behind-the-scenes stuff that I'm so curious about.




Upstairs at the White House: My Life With the First Ladies by JB West is the first book I read on life in the White House. I loved the little anecdotes West shared - and he had plenty to share after decades of service to the First Families.  

Several other books have made their way into my hands as well, providing a few more interesting tidbits to life in the White House.  

The following four were all fantastic reads for me - and would definitely help satisfy anyone's curiosity about life in the White House




1.  White House Nannies by Barbara Kline
2.  The Residence by Kate Andersen Brower
3.  First Families by Ronald Kessler
4.  Front Row at the White House by Helen Thomas

Secret Service agents have written some excellent books as well that bring more details about the First Family to light.  Clint Hill's Five Presidents is one I find fascinating.





Do you have any books to add to my list on this subject?  I can't wait to visit other blogs and add to my own TBR.


6 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I enjoyed The Secret Lives of the First Ladies this year. I also read a great biography of Florence Harding.

Molly said...

I haven't read anything about the White House but I do so love the history of the secret service! I'll have to check that one out.

Wonderful post!

bookertalk said...

This might be a bit too obvious but how about Becoming by Michelle Obama. She has some interesting insights on changes she tried to make to the White House ...

Hanna @ Booking in Heels said...

The Secret Lives of the First Ladies sounds really interesting - I might see if I can convince my library to buy a copy!

DoingDewey said...

I have a hard time focusing on one topic too! I really enjoyed The Residence and I know the author also has a book out about First Ladies if you've not read that yet :)

heather said...

I love this topic too. Upstairs at the White House is great. Margaret Truman wrote a book called First Ladies that was very good.