Sunday, November 29, 2020

Monday Mini-Reviews: A Mixed Bag

 I've had a little bit of time off from school for the holiday weekend and really had high hopes of getting lots of reading done.  I have done a bit, but I do seem to find it really hard to just relax and read when I can see many things that need to get done at home. I might read ten pages or so, and then jump up and clean out the dishwasher or throw in a load of laundry.  I wish I could go back to the days when the mess all around me didn't bother me as much.


Here are a few of the titles I did find time for:




The Pull of the Stars by Emma Donoghue - I love historical fiction and this one was recommended to me by my friend Kristin who had to wait patiently until my library hold finally came in.  Set during the Spanish flu epidemic in Ireland, this one felt like I was reading an episode of Call the Midwife.  I liked this one a lot, although I did feel that the fact that Julia's one shift encompassed 160 pages of the novel was a bit much.  This one was a very fast read and I feel like this is the type of book that I will like more as time passes. 

His Only Wife by Peace Adzo Medie- this was a Reese Witherspoon book club pick and although those are hit or miss for me, this one was one I enjoyed.  Afi is a young woman without much hope for her future, until she is married off to Eli, a wealthy businessman - something their mothers engineered.  Afi is a little concerned about being married to a man she doesn't know, but after she spends time with Eli, the two seem to be in love with each other. The only thing that stands in the way of Afi's true happiness is the fact that Eli has another woman on the side.  And even though Afi's mother counsels her to leave well enough alone, Afi can't.  She won't be happy unless she knows that Eli only loves her.  This one left me needing to talk to someone.....so far I'm just thinking things through by myself.

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig - this book has been on my shelf since 2006 (which shows that Marie Kondo is wrong.....people really will read books they've had for a while) and is one I had on a shortlist to read this fall/winter.  I love a good pioneer story and this one features widower Oliver Milliron placing an ad for a housekeeper to help him raise his three sons in the Montana homestead where they live.  When Rose arrives with her brother Morrie in tow, things get a lot more interesting for the Millirons and I loved the humor and wit in this story.  I'm also excited to realize that this is just the first in a series.

I'm working my way through some library holds as well and attempting to work my way through the list of books I set aside to read this season.  What books did you find time for this past week? Any I should add to my TBR?


No comments: