Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Non-Fiction Recap: April 2020


Although I love reading non-fiction, I've noticed at the end of every year that I don't read nearly as many nonfiction books as I'd like. I've tried to make a better effort to take the time to read more, but also realize that non-fiction reading is slower for me.  I actually finished four non-fiction titles in April, and almost polished off a fifth.

Here are the books I enjoyed:





You Never Forget Your First: a Biography of George Washington by Alexis Coe is a unique biography of George Washington with charts and graphs included.  I appreciate this unique presentation of Washington's life, although it focused a lot of attention on his military career, while I would much rather read about his personal life.

Spare Parts: Four Undocumented Teenagers, One Ugly Robot and the Battle for the America Dream by Joshua Davis -I found this account of a robotics team comprised of immigrant children from low income families uplifting and hopeful.  I love a good education story and the students in this book remind me of my own students.  I also appreciated that the author included photos and information about these boys' lives now.

Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster by Adam Higganbotham - I have vivid memories of walking downstairs one morning for school and hearing a brief snippet on the news about Chernobyl.  Growing up during the Cold War, I feared a nuclear war, and Chernobyl seemed like such a scary thing.  This account has more science than I needed, but it was fascinating and I especially enjoyed the human side of this tragedy and knowing more about the workers surrounding the disaster.  I love a good disaster story, and this one definitely fits the bill.

Lady Bird by Jan Jarboe Russell- I've read a few biographies of Lady Bird, and this one was as enjoyable and informative as the others.  I find the lives of the First Ladies fascinating and appreciate their unique perspective to history.  I read this entire book while running on the treadmill, and it's been hard to come up with a new book that has been as interesting.


We'll see how my non-fiction May reading goes....

No comments: