Thursday, March 28, 2019

New in Picture Books: The Lions At Night

A month or so ago I followed the ALA Midwinter meeting events via Twitter. I loved seeing pictures of the books people were picking up and promptly added a few of them to my Amazon cart.





The Lions at Night is a beautiful wordless picture book by Jessica Boehman featuring Patience and Fortitude, the lions that grace the steps at the New York Public Library.  

While the illustrations are black and white at the book's beginning, Patience and Fortitude provide the splash of color as they leave their perch and begin to tour the city.  

A ride on the subway and a trip to Coney Island Amusement park are the nighttime activities of the lions, and there is more color on the pages as the night of fun unfolds. Eventually the lions head back to their home, accompanied by an older gentleman.  

If readers look closely and read the notes at the end of the book, they'll understand that the gentleman is the Edward Clark Potter, the man who sculpted the models of the lions.  

This is a fun story, and I'm always looking for wordless books to share with my students and to add to my growing collection of them.  

I've been to New York City twice for Book Expo, and have yet to meet Patience and Fortitude myself.  This May when I return, I'm going to make sure a visit to the NYPL is on our agenda.

1 comment:

Jessica Boehman said...

Thanks for featuring my book, Tina!