Tuesday, January 8, 2019

New To Me NonFiction

Sarah Mackenzie's book has been languishing on my TBR pile since I purchased it when it was first published.  It's a great book with which to kick off the new year because it certainly should inspire families to read aloud to their children.







In my case I feel like Mackenzie is preaching to the choir. I have long believed in the importance of reading aloud to my kids, and although my two older daughters are in high school and don't have much free time to engage in family read alouds, my middle schooler is still read to nearly every day.  

This book not only talks about the importance of reading aloud, but backs it up with data and research.  Mackenzie provides lists of books for all ages and provides some anecdotes from her own family and from some others that she knows from her podcast, The Read Aloud Revival.

Honestly, much of the time I was reading I was either nodding my head in agreement or kicking myself for not having written this book myself.  I didn't think Mackenzie's book provided me any new information I wasn't aware of; she just reaffirmed what I have always believed.  

This is a great first non-fiction book for 2019, and it left me with some food for thought and several new-to-me title I can add to my TBR list.

I'd press this in to the hands of any parent - new or not-so-new - and hope they took the message to heart.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I've always appreciated the fact that you read to your girls and I knew you had continued long after they could read to themselves. I like that and I did that too. I still read out loud to mine when we were homeschooling when she was in 7th and 8th grade. Not every book, but a few. I remember I read Julie Garwood's The Secret to her - a definite spicy historical romance. It was a good story though and I just skipped over the very 'spicy' bedroom stuff. When she was a freshman in college, she picked it up to read herself. She made me giggle hysterically when she said, 'Mom! You skipped a bunch of stuff!!' I told her that she was old enough to read that 'stuff' by then. In any case, I think that reading together is a wonderful thing for families to do.