Tuesday, March 20, 2018

TLC Book Tour: Meet the Frugalwoods

I love  good memoir, and Meet the Frugalwoods sounded like a book that would not only provide an inside look at the lives of one couple, but also provide some information about living frugally.

This topic has always been of interest to me.  I haven't ever thought that I was especially frugal -  at least not in some areas of my life- yet, I do know people who spend far more money than me.





The entire first half of Meet the Frugalwoods is spent learning about Liz and her husband, Nate: their childhoods, relationship, education and early career.  She does a great job of showing how their privileged (and Liz shows how it is privileged by most standards)lives have set her and her husband up to save enough money to achieve the dream of financial independence.

I was totally sucked in right away because Liz seems like someone I could be friends with.  I appreciated the way she shared her thoughts and questions about their lifestyle, whether they really wanted to be a part of the consumer society.  (I know plenty of people who haven't given this a thought in their own lives.  They have bought or built new houses and make sure they get a newer, better car frequently, and take themselves on tropical vacations each year).  I can relate to Liz and Nate who want more from life than that.  

The second half of the book shows how this couple managed to live frugally. They no longer paid for haircuts, bought all furniture and vehicles used, and Liz even gave up wearing makeup since she considered it an unnecessary expense.   Reading about these changes in their lives was extremely intriguing.

I don't think I'll ever be frugal like the Frugalwoods, but I can certainly give up a few things and spend less than I do.  I'm planning on checking in with Liz and Nate often on the website Liz keeps, www.frugalwoods.com.  




Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review. All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.



Visit the HarperCollins website to learn more about this book.

3 comments:

Ti said...

I've given up a lot. Not really out of necessity I just think I have too much stuff sometimes. I spend very little on personal items like makeup and facial care stuff. I use regular home products a lot like baking soda, honey, etc. I don't even buy many books. If not an ARC then it's usually from the library.

Oh, but this style of living intrigues me. I would love to go vegan and grow my own food but the hub would push back on that big time.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour!

DoingDewey said...

I found reading this to be like listening to a friend too. I really liked how approachable it was!