Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Releasing Today: The Far Away Brothers and The Four Tendencies

Two great books come out today.  The Far Away Brothers: Two Young Migrants and the Making of an American Life by Lauren Markham is a book I've read already and enjoyed. The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin is also out today and is a book that is on my TBR stack at home. 





The Far Away Brothers

I thoroughly enjoyed this work of narrative non-fiction that tackles the touch topic of immigration.  Markham's recounting of the Flores brothers' story is heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time.  Sharing their story makes the topic of immigration personal.  Although there were decisions  the brothers made that I cringed at from time to time, working with immigrant children and their families in my current job, I could identify with the thought process of the brothers and find many similarities between them and the children I know.

Markham's book certainly brings an awareness to the growing issue of undocumented and unaccompanied minor children seeking a new life in the United States.  In addition to the story of the Flores brothers, I also appreciated the research about immigration that is shared throughout this book.


The Four Tendencies by Gretchen Rubin

I met Gretchen Rubin at Book Expo in June and have a signed ARC of this book at home. I feel like Gretchen and I could be friends with all the time I've spent listening to her podcast.





So, if you're looking for something great to read, check these out!

No comments: