Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Chunksters

I wish I could say that Anne at My Head is Full of Books tagged me in a longest books meme just a few days ago. However, in reality, she tagged me back on August 18th and it is just now that I'm getting around to writing my own post sharing the five longest books I've read.

It has been fun to look back through my book logs and remember some of the great books I've read over the years. I've also noticed a trend: the books I'm reading are getting shorter. At least there are fewer really, really long books I am picking up.

Here are five really long books I'v read:





And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer weighs in at over 1000 pages. This isn't a fast, action plot book, either.  This book focuses on the members of a book club as they grow and change through the years. I read this in my twenties, so maybe I should try to find time to re-read it now that I'm at a different point in my life.

Roots by Alex Haley - I remember reading this book in the span of one weekend while I was in high school.  I've never seen the movie and was disappointed by Haley's novel, Queen, but Roots remains one of my favorites nearly three decades since I read it.

The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough - I love a good saga and this one set in the Australian outback. I spent plenty of time in eighth grade reading this one while everyone else was round robin reading our science textbook.

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb - an Oprah Book Club selection from 1998, this story centers around twin brothers - one who is a schizophrenic.
I've read an enjoyed Lamb's other books, which aren't short, but I think this might be his longest novel.

A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara - this is the most recent chunkster I've read and it is a book I won't soon forget.  Four college friends and their lives - mostly centering around Jude, who is badly broken as the result of an abusive childhood.

And some other books that still sit on my TBR that are just a little too long (and perhaps literate) for me to want to start:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and The Winds of War by Herman Wouk. I own them both (and have had them on my shelves for years). Maybe someday I will feel a need to crack one open.

What are some chunksters you've read and recommend?

2 comments:

Ti said...

It's time for you to add another chunkster to your list!! I am doing a read along for King's new book, Sleeping Beauties and it's 700+ pages. I can't wait! I really prefer chunksters but as a blogger, reviews every 4 weeks don't really work so I need those shorter reads in between.

Chunksters that I can remember: A Little Life, The Stand, Atlas Shrugged, The Fountainhead, Ulysses was just shy of what I call a chunkster but the lack of 200 pages or so was made up for in complexity.

Ti said...

Oh, and of course IT!