Friday, August 11, 2017

TLC Book Tour: Dryland

Dryland: One Woman's Swim to Sobriety by Nancy Stearns Bercaw is a memoir I enjoyed so much that the only fault I could find was that it left me wanting more from her.





This memoir's focus is Bercaw's alcoholism that has been a problem for her for several (maybe even many) years.  However, even though that is the focal point, there are several other aspects of her life that I found fascinating:

Bercaw was a champion swimmer, qualifying for the 1988 Olympic swimming trials.

Her father and grandfather's death from Alzheimer's impacted Bercaw's own belief and actions about her future and a disease she believed awaited her.

She lived in Kenya as a Peace Corps volunteer, where a friend was murdered.  This story especially piqued my interest and I am still wondering what really happened.

Bercaw and her husband and son live in Abu Dhabi, US expats, an interesting place to move and make a home.

This memoir moves back and forth in time sharing portions of her past and the present and her eventual decision to quit drinking.  So many aspects of Bercaw's life were intriguing to me.  I wish I could sit down with her and get to know her; she definitely has some amazing stories to tell.


Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.


3 comments:

Patti Smith said...

The expat life is so interesting to me :) I enjoyed this one as well :)

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I'm glad you enjoying this inspiring memoir! Thanks for being a part of the tour.

Suko said...

Tina, it sounds as if you enjoyed reading this memoir! I hope you'll stop by my review, which is different from yours. Have a terrific weekend!