Thursday, August 3, 2017

TLC Book Tour: The Dress in the Window

I am always excited to dig into a new historical fiction novel.  The Dress in the Window did not dissappoint!





I love reading books set during World War II, but the time period directly after the war is another one of my favorites.  This book hooked me nearly immediately.  

Jeanne and Peggy are living with Peggy's mother-in-law after all three of them have lost the men in their lives (Jeanne was engaged, while the other two women are widowed).  Financially they struggle to make ends meet, and both Jeanne and Peggy harbor dreams of making it on their own. Jeanne is an accomplished seamstress and Peggy a fantastic clothes designer.  

Thelma, Peggy's mother-in-law has kept some secrets that have impacted their futures, and slowly these secrets become known.  There's also plenty of sibling rivalry as Jeanne and Peggy have also told some lies of their own in an attempt to further their own careers.

I loved the descriptions of the dresses Peggy designed and Jeanne's ability to recreate these clothes. I also loved how Grant accurately depicted the limited roles women were allowed to play during this time period.  Despite wanting a career, having a child was something that could end any aspirations beyond motherhood.

This story shows how dreams can come true, and that you never know what the future may hold.

Rarely do I comment on a book's cover, but this is one that I think would benefit from a facelift.  The cover seems so dark and depressing to me, and although the sisters are struggling to survive and the time after the war was not a happy one for them, their dress making was bright and stylish and their future was bright.

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

For more information, visit the HarperCollins website.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Thanks for being a part of the tour!