Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Releasing Today: Happiness

I love memoirs and Happiness: The Crooked Little Road to Semi-Ever After is one of those books that will stick with me for a long time.  I loved every single word.




Heather Harpham's story begins with her romance to Brian, a writer, who she loves deeply.  The story of their relationship alternates with the story of the birth of their daughter, Gracie.  

Shortly after Harpham discovers she is pregnant, she becomes aware of how serious Brian is about not wanting to be a father.  This is a deal-breaker in their relationship.  So Harpham leaves for her home in California where she is surrounded by friends and family who can give her support in her new role as a single parent.

And then, shortly after Gracie's birth it becomes obvious that something is not quite right with her blood.  What follows are several years of blood transfusions, no definitive diagnosis, and some hard choices as Harpham (along with Brian who eventually has a change of heart) try to navigate the best way to give Gracie the best chance of survival.

I felt like Harpham took the many things I have felt and put them into words much better than I could ever dream possible. I also had a child with a life-threatening illness. My daughter and Gracie went through treatment at the same age- four years old.  Harpham brought up a lot of memories for me while reading, and I felt instantly that we could have been friends, could have been two moms sharing space, and our stories,  in a hospital room as we cared for our children. 

The story that Harpham shares is so well written, so beautiful, and so reaffirms what really matters in life. This five star memoir is out today.  

It is also an IndieNext pick for August and an Amazon Best Book of the Month pick for August.

No comments: