Friday, May 19, 2017

TLC Book Tour: A House Without Windows


Hashimi's novel is as entertaining as it is informative as she creates a story centered around women in a traditional culture that treats women as second-class citizens, without rights of their own.




Zeba is found in her backyard, covered in blood. Her husband lies dead near her, with a hatchet sticking out of his back.  Because Zeba doesn't, or cannot, speak for herself when she is asked what happened, she is taken to prison to await trial.  The chances that she will be freed and that her life will be spared are almost nothing.

Yusuf comes to Afghanistan to work as a lawyer. Although born in Afghanistan, he and his family fled to the United States when he was still a child.  Now, he has returned, wanting to give something back to his homeland.  As he takes on Zeba's case, he quickly learns what life is like for women in Afghanistan.

Zeba's time in prison in made more bearable by the friendships she forms with other female prisoners, all there for a variety of reasons.  Hashimi's depiction of these women and Zeba really makes this novel feel real. 

I've always loved novels set in Afghanistan, and this one allowed me to see and feel what life is like there.  As I was reading I was never quite certain how Hashimi would resolve Zeba's case, although she was an easy character to root for.  

I also really enjoyed Yusuf. While I know that this is a stand-alone novel, I feel like Hashimi could easily create another novel with Yusuf as the clever lawyer who can defend another client.  He is likable and his background and relationship with his family allowed him to seem real, not just a bit player in Zeba's fight for her life.

I haven't read Hashimi's other books, but I'm excited to see she has published previously so I won't have to wait around for more books by her and can check them out right away.

Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.



Visit the HarperCollins website for more information.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I hope you enjoy the author's backlist as much as you enjoyed this one!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.