Tuesday, April 4, 2017

TLC Book Tour: A Simple Favor

I really enjoy psychological thrillers and after Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn was published, this type of novel seems to be everywhere.  Some are better than others, but even though there are some that I don't find amazing, I can't stop myself from being drawn to them.

Luckily, A Simple Favor by Darcey Bell was well worth the time I invested in reading it. I feel asleep while reading last night, and awoke this morning to finish it off.




Stephanie is a mommy blogger and presents herself to the online community as a sweet, devoted widowed mother of a young son.  She and her best friend Emily have a lot in common, and enjoy that their sons are best friends with each other.  

When Emily goes missing one day, failing to pick up her son from Stephanie's care, Stephanie is immediately concerned.  

Emily's husband, Sean, believes his wife is away on business. At least that is what he tells Stephanie. But as more times passes, the police are eventually called in. They have a lot of questions about Emily's disappearance- the first being about the recent million dollar life insurance policy Sean recently took out on his wife.

It's hard to know who or what to believe in this story.  There are twists and turns that will cause your jaw to drop, and to question each character.  I remember reading Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train and realizing I didn't like a single character. That is the way I felt about Emily, Stephanie, and Sean.  And yet, I couldn't put this book down.

Darcey Bell has created a fantastic story, full of suspense. I can't wait for a few of my friends to read this one so we can discuss it, and can definitely understand the comparison to The Girl on the Train. I can't wait to see what Bell writes next.

Thanks to TLC Books for providing a copy of this book for me to review. All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

Visit the HarperCollins' website for more information.

1 comment:

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Oh yes, this is definitely the kind of book you want to discuss with people after you finish reading it! I hope you can find someone to talk it over with soon.

Thanks for being a part of the tour!