Tuesday, February 14, 2017

TLC Tour: Unbound

I have been skiing exactly once in my life. And that experience was so incredibly memorable simply because of how comical my skiing was.  I have happy memories of tumbling down a mountain, out of control with a good friend while  my boyfriend looked on. He obviously had no idea how terribly uncoordinated I was.

Unbound: A Story of Snow and Self-Discovery by Steph Jagger is a memoir of the months Jagger spent downhill skiing (4,000,000 vertical feet as a matter of fact) at a variety of beautiful locations around the world as she follows winter around the globe.





Jagger grew up in Canada with a cabin in Whistler where she spent her weekends.  She's has a successful career and seems to be checking off the boxes on her list of what she feels are the things one does in life.  Although she isn't particularly unhappy, she isn't happy, either.  

Instead of just carrying on, Jagger decides to make some changes in her life.  She takes out another mortgage on her house and sets off on an adventure that change her life, visiting five different continents and skiing the best slopes in each.

I loved the descriptions of the picturesque towns. I loved the romance Jagger finds herself in.  I loved the way she so willingly shares the private parts of her life, willing to bare all and allowing readers to see her vulnerabilities.

I didn't get into Jagger's issues with her femininity, but I could respect that those were feelings she had because of some of her life experiences.  I've seen this book compared to Cheryl Strayed's Wild, and can seem some similarities myself.

A great memoir, arm-chair travel book, non-fiction self-help motivational type of read, there's a little bit of something for everyone in Unbound.


Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this book for my review. All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

For more information on this title, visit the HarperCollins website.

2 comments:

Debra Eliotseats said...

I thought this was a great read! I found her writing hilarious and insightful!

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I had a similar experience one of the few times I went skiing ... mine resulted in me being in a knee brace. LOL

Thanks for being a part of the tour!