Tuesday, January 10, 2017

TLC Book Tour: The Fireman

Every once in a while I feel like getting out of my comfort zone and reading something that isn't normally what I pick up.  Both The Martian and Dark Matter were books outside my normal reading diet, and I loved them. The Fireman by Joe Hill is the book that is forcing me out of my comfort zone right now.






This is a dsytopian novel is full of suspense and action - I can't believe it won't be made into a movie someday.

There is a plague that is spreading quickly among humans around the world.  Draco Incendia Trychophyton, known as Dragonscales, is infecting people by first covering their bodies in a black and gold scales, but eventually causing them to die by bursting into flames.  No one is safe from this disease and it is spreading quickly.

Harper is a young nurse who uses her skills to help those who are infected. Although she takes the precautions that seem to help eliminate the risk of infection, she finds the black and gold scales marking her body. From that point on, her life is about survival - not just for her, but for the baby she is carrying.

This book is action packed.  There are struggles at danger at every turn.  Hill threw in some surprises along the way, and just when I believed things couldn't get worse, they did. 

Although the reality of the events in this novel actually occurring are slim (at least I sure hope so), I couldn't help but imagine what people would do if confronted with something like Dragonscales.  

The Fireman is a long novel (750 pages) and that might deter some people. But it is a fast read, and once you begin it, you will be racing to the end to find out what happens to Harper and the community she has surrounded herself with.

Thanks to TLC Books for providing a copy of this book for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.


For more information about The Fireman, visit the HarperCollins website.


2 comments:

Kay said...

I have this one and have meant to read it before now. Have heard a lot of good things. I've loved Stephen King's books for years and I really need to read Joe Hill's books. I understand that there are lots of cultural references in it that I'd enjoy. Plus, it kind of reminds me of THE STAND.

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

I haven't read anything by Joe Hill but this needs to be the first one I read - it looks SO good!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.