Monday, December 28, 2015

Wide Open World

As we  near the end of 2015, I feel like writing about a book that was not only a great read, but also gave me a little food for thought on the idea of giving back.

John Marshall and his family decide to give back in a big way.  Part of their giving back was also a way for them to travel the world with their children. But, I do believe that in the process of travelling and working, they got more out of it than just an adventure around the world would provide.



Marshall and his wife Traca decided to take their two teenage children on a trip around the world. Part of it was to reconnect as a family and as a couple.  The hectic events of day to day life had made Marshall and his wife feel more like strangers than a couple.  Their children were spending more and more time on technology than they were in the real world.  Before they left home, Marshall wanted them to have this experience that would help them grow as people.

So, after planning and tying up loose ends at home, they embark on the adventure of a lifetime.

What follows is the recollection of their experiences in Costa Rica, New Zealand, Thailand, and India as they work at a animal preserve and play with monkeys, help orphan children and teach English.  These experiences touch the people they meet, but perhaps have a greater impact on them as they see how much their help means to others.  

This is an experience that will stay with them forever, changing them in subtle ways.  

Marshall's memoir is a great plug for volunteering around the world, and some advice and information about these opportunities is included at the end of the memoir.

Great for memoir-lovers, non-fiction readers, arm chair travelers, and anyone who wants to make a difference in the world.


2 comments:

Kay said...

I read about this book somewhere else a while back and meant to put it on my list. But I forgot. Thanks for reminding me about it. It sounds like a great read. Hope you guys had a wonderful Christmas!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

Oh man, I wish I'd known about this book before Christmas. I think my brother and his family would be good recipients. Thanks for the review.